Mechanical Seal Having a Double-Tier Mating Ring
LSU Reference: 0311
- An apparatus that enhances the overall performance of mechanical seals in one or more of the following ways: by reducing the contact surface temperature, reducing contact surface wear, or by increasing the life span of mechanical seals.
- Manufacturing of a reliable, inexpensive double-tier mating ring for use in applications, including single mechanical seals, double mechanical seals, tandem mechanical seals, bellows, pusher mechanical seals, and all types of rotating and reciprocating machines.
- Fabrication is simple and inexpensive
- The double-tier mating ring may be dismantled and cleaned if the coolant channel or inlet and outlet ports become clogged with debris.
- The stationary rings may be made from different materials having different heat conducting characteristics
- If the first stationary ring abutting the rotating ring becomes worn, it can be replaced without having to replace the second stationary ring
- The double-tier mating ring increases the service life and continuous operating times of a mechanical seal
- Heat is substantially removed from the contact surface of the mating ring
- The occurrence of hot spots, blistering, heat checking, seal face cracking, and excessive wear, which can ultimately cause premature seal failure, is minimized