Public relations is the planning and implementation of strategic communication that attempts to improve the relationship between individuals, organizations and/or companies with key constituencies. If you are thinking about PR, you will want to build good writing skills, understand the inner-workings of various forms of media, and be a good public speaker. The best professionals in this field move easily from writing a news release to planning a product launch to damage control in the media. We aim to expose students to as many different public relations scenarios as possible while in school. We do this in several ways:
Internships. We encourage students to pursue multiple internships. We have an extensive database of local and national, paid and unpaid internships.
PRSSA. We encourage students to participate in the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) where they interact with a variety of professionals. They can also work with PRestige, our student-run public relations firm.
Service-learning. We provide opportunities for service-learning in many of our classes wherein students do work for real clients. Five of our public relations faculty have been designated as Service-learning Scholars at LSU.
The Bateman Team. We have a team each year that participates in PRSSA’s Bateman competition for a national client. Since 2007, three LSU teams have earned honorable mention recognition in the competition.
Students who are interested in public relations should look for opportunities to develop their writing, problem solving and leadership skills. While many of our graduates go on to graduate programs or law school, some of our recent graduate professional placements include:
- University of Louisiana – Monroe Athletics
- Marina Maher Communications (NY)
- Audubon Nature Institute (New Orleans)
- Hill & Knowlton (Houston)
- U.S. Senator Mary Landreiu
- University of Tulsa Athletics
- Louisiana Public Broadcasting
- Touro Infirmary (New Orleans)
- New Orleans Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Dow Chemical
- Exxon Mobil
- Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers
- CRT/tanaka (New York)
- Harris, DeVille & Associates
- Seavers Design, Inc (Houston)
- National Center for Biomedical Research and Training
- Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals
- Children’s Hospital (New Orleans)
- Blue Williams (New Orleans)
- Renaissance Publishing (New Orleans)
- Acropolis (Orlando, FL)
- Creative Communications (Baton Rouge)
- Zehnder Communications (New Orleans)
For more information about the public relations concentration, contact:
Dr. Jinx Broussard, Associate Professor and William Dickinson Distinguished Professor and Public Relations Area Head