Seynaeve Professor of Biblical Studies
Chair, Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies
Delbert Burkett obtained his Ph.D. in New Testament and Christian Origins from Duke University in 1989. In the following years, he taught at Western Kentucky University, Appalachian State University, and Lebanon Valley College. In 1996, he joined the Religious Studies faculty at LSU. From 2004 to 2007, he served as the section head for Religious Studies. Since 2010 he has served as the Chair of the Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies.
Professor Burkett specializes in the history, religion, and literature of earliest Christianity. He has also developed several courses on the history of particular religious ideas. He has published two books on the New Testament title "Son of Man" and an introduction to the New Testament and the origins of Christianity. His multi-volume series on the Synoptic Problem (Rethinking the Gospel Sources), of which two volumes have been published, provides new perspectives on the literary relationship between the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke. Most recently, he edited The Blackwell Companion to Jesus.
- REL 1005 New Testament
- REL 2006 HONORS: Jesus in History and Tradition
- REL 3051 Apocalypse Then and Now
- REL 4010 Apocryphal Gospels and Acts
- REL 4050 A History of God
- REL 4060 Ideas of the Afterlife
- REL 4500 Seminar in Biblical Studies
- HNRS 2030 Synoptic Gospels
- ATLAS grant, 2009-10
- Tiger Athletic Foundation Undergraduate Teaching Award, Honors College, 2007
- Alpha Lambda Delta Freshman Honor Society award for "superior instruction of freshman students,” 1999, 2003
- LSU Council on Research Summer Research Stipend, 1997, 2000
- Travel grant, Southern Regional Education Board, 1992
- Rethinking the Gospel Sources, Volume 2: The Unity and Plurality of Q. Early Christianity and Its Literature 1. Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2009.
- Rethinking the Gospel Sources: From Proto-Mark to Mark. New York/London: T&T Clark International, 2004.
- An Introduction to the New Testament and the Origins of Christianity. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- The Son of Man Debate: A History and Evaluation. SNTS Monograph Series 107. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1999.
- The Son of the Man in the Gospel of John. JSNT Supplement Series 56. Sheffield Academic Press, 1991.
- The Blackwell Companion to Jesus. Edited by Delbert Burkett. Wiley-Blackwell, 2011.
Articles in Journals
- "The Return of Proto-Mark: A Response to David Neville." Ephemerides Theologicae Lovanienses 85/1 (2009): 129-49.
- "The Nontitular Son of Man: A History and Critique." New Testament Studies 40 (1994): 504-21.
- "Two Accounts of Lazarus' Resurrection in John 11." Novum Testamentum 36 (1994): 209-32.
- "Four Sahidic Songs to St. John the Evangelist." Coptic Church Review 9 (1988): 83-86.
Chapters in Edited Volumes
- “Images of Jesus: An Overview.” Pages 1-9 in The Blackwell Companion to Jesus. Edited by Delbert Burkett. Wiley-Blackwell, 2011.
- “Jesus in Luke-Acts.” Pages 47-63 in The Blackwell Companion to Jesus. Edited by Delbert Burkett. Wiley-Blackwell, 2011.
- "The Black Christ." With Kelly Brown Douglas. Pages 410-26 in The Blackwell Companion to Jesus. Edited by Delbert Burkett. Wiley-Blackwell, 2011.