• Full-time classified/civil service, professional and other academic (excluding faculty) employees,
• Full-time (100% effort) for at least one year, and
• Approval from immediate supervisor and department head
• Provided for both undergraduate and graduate programs with the exception of online degree programs, Vet Med program, MBA program and other higher cost programs.
• May register for job-related courses for up to 6 college credit hours per regular semester.
• May register for job-related courses for up to 3 college credit hours for the entire period between Spring and Fall semesters (i.e., intersession and summer term).
• Up to 3 clock hours per week per semester may be taken during work time without charge to leave time, if approved by supervisor. If more than 3 hours are during work hours, annual leave must be used along with supervisor approval.
• To assist immediate supervisors and department heads in determining “job relatedness,” the following points are useful guidelines:
|a. If the course would be beneficial to the employee in performing the functions outlined in her/his position description, it may be approved.|
b. If the course would be beneficial to the employee to advance to the next higher position to which she/he might logically aspire to within the unit, it may be approved.
c. If the course is required for a degree program being pursued for the reasons stated in points 1 and 2 above, the course may be approved.
• Exemption can be declined if employee receives two consecutive semesters with below C grades. The next semester must be C’s or higher to regain exemption.
• All hours as described above are exempt from payment.
• Technology fees and Academic Excellence fees are not exempt (reimbursable) under this program. Employees are still subject to pay all fees associated with the courses they are enrolled.
• Fees can be paid via payroll deduction (over the course of the semester) or deferred payment (2 payments). This is done through your myLSU account, under “Registration Services” and then “Defer pymt/Payr Deduct.”
Instructions for Automated Tuition Exemption Request
1. Once logged into your myLSU account, you can initiate the exemption request by first clicking on “Employee Resources” and then the “Tuition Exemption Request” link.
2. The “Employee Information” section will automatically be populated with your information, but you will need to complete all relevant course-related information in the “Class Information” section. Once complete, click “Continue.”
- If you have not met the minimum eligibility requirements, you may either withdraw the exemption request, or you will be given the opportunity to request an exception to the eligibility requirements. If you have not met the eligibility requirements, the system will automatically inform you why you are not eligible.
• An example of a rare exception is a when a department has adjusted an employee’s work schedule (less than 100% effort) to accommodate for the disability.
3. The next screen will have your class schedule automatically loaded. However, you must select your supervisor and department chair’s name from the drop-down menu. If all information is correct, the employee should click “Submit to Supervisor.” An automated e-mail notifies the employee’s supervisor of the request.
|- If your immediate supervisor’s name is not in the drop-down menu, you should check the box that says “If your supervisor does not exist or the supervisor choice(s) are incorrect, please check” and contact your department’s HR Contact to have them assign a supervisor for you on HRS.|
- If your class schedule requires you to miss more than 3 hours of work per week, you must indicate in the box at the bottom of the screen. You will either submit a modified work schedule or a statement indicating that you will use annual leave to cover any time in excess of the weekly 3 hour allotment.
4. Once the supervisor approves the request, the department chair receives an automated e-mail notification. She/he will review and approve the request. Upon approval, HRM will receive the request and processes the completed tuition exemption request.