Click here to access the website of The Hartford. The Hartford Customer Service number is 1-800-392-7805; Policy #83116904.
The LSU System partners with The Hartford to provide affordable Long Term Disability (LTD) coverage to help you continue to meet your family’s needs in the event of a disabling illness or injury. If you become disabled and qualify for benefits, LTD coverage will pay you 60% of your monthly salary up to a maximum of $12,000 per month.
Any active employee of LSU is eligible for benefits provided the following:
• Employed at 75% of full-time effort per pay period (avg. of 30 hours/week) or greater, and
• Appointed for a duration of at least one semester or 120 days or greater.
This coverage is only offered to an Eligible Employee of the LSU System. Spouse and dependent coverage is not available.
Enrollment and Effective Date of Coverage
Timely Applicant: If you enroll within your first 30 days of full-time employment, your coverage will be effective on the first of the following month (i.e., If you enroll on July 5th, coverage will begin on August 1st).
Late Applicant: If an employee did not enroll into Long Term Disability coverage within the 30 days of their eligibility to obtain benefits, the employee can enroll at any time, but must complete the Evidence of Insurability Application before approval of coverage. Benefits will be effective once Hartford approves their coverage.
How to Calculate Your Premiums
Your premium is based on your salary. Calculate your premium as follows:
____________________ x 0.00553 = _______________________
Monthly Salary Monthly Cost
|Monthly Salary||Monthly Premium|
Filing a Claim
At times you may have to pay out of pocket for medical services, particularly if you have received services from a non-network provider. In the event that you do pay out of pocket for services, you can be reimbursed for these services. You will need to complete and submit a claim form and a copy of the invoice to the appropriate carrier. You may submit a claim form (see below) along with a copy of the invoice to your insurance carrier. Hartford will then reimburse you according to the plan's guidelines.
If the employee leaves LSU employment or the employee becomes ineligible for coverage, the employee will be able to convert their long term disability coverage through Hartford. There will be a change to benefits and premiums when coverage is converted. The employee has 30 days from when they lose coverage to convert their coverage.
For information about retiree Long Term Disability coverage, please see our Retirees section.
How Much Coverage is Available? This benefit covers 60% of your monthly base salary up to a maximum of $12,000 per month. Calculate your disability benefit as follows:
________________ x 0.60 = __________________
Monthly Salary Maximum Benefit
*Please note that disability benefits through The Hartford may be adjusted for other sources of income.
When Are Disability Benefits Paid? Disability benefits are paid if you are considered disabled and you satisfy a waiting period of 90 days or the exhaustion of sick time (whichever is greater).
How Is Disability Defined? The Hartford uses a dual definition of disability. You are considered disabled and eligible for benefits if either of the following qualifiers is met:
• Occupation Qualifier: You are considered disabled if, during the waiting period and the first 24 months thereafter, you are unable to perform the material and substantial duties of your regular occupation due to a disability. After this period, you qualify for benefits if you continue to be unable to perform any occupation for which you are qualified by education, training or experience.
• Earnings Qualifier: You are considered disabled If you are working in an occupation for which you are qualified by education, training or experience, but are unable to earn more than 80% of your pre-disability earnings due to an injury or sickness.
What If I Can Work During My Disability? Total disability is not required during the waiting period. You can continue to work periodically for up to 45 days without beginning the waiting period again.
How Long Will I Receive Benefits if I Become Disabled? Benefits will be paid until you are no longer considered disabled, or until you reach the maximum payable period (MPP).
|Age of Disability||MPP|
|Age 61or less||To Social Security Normal Retirement Age (SSNRA)|
|62||42 months or normal SSNRA|
|63||36 months or normal SSNRA|
|64||30 months or normal SSNRA|
|65||24 months or normal SSNRA|
|66||21 months or normal SSNRA|
|67||18 months or normal SSNRA|
|68||15 months or normal SSNRA|
Is There a Benefit for Mental Health or Substance Abuse Disabilities? Upon satisfying the waiting period, benefits are payable for mental health or substance abuse claims for 24 months. Confinement in a hospital or institution licensed to provide care and treatment for mental illness will not be counted as part of the mental health limitation.
Are There Any Exclusions? LTD benefits are not payable for disabilities resulting from:
• Declared or undeclared acts of war
• Suicide or self-inflicted injury or sickness
• Commission or an attempt to commit a felony
• Pre-existing conditions. If you have a condition for which you received medical treatment or advice in the 3 months prior to your coverage effective date, it is considered preexisting and will be excluded in the first 12 months of coverage. Following 12 consecutive months of coverage, such conditions will no longer be considered pre-existing.
Innovative Plan Features to Protect You
To ensure you have the protection you need in the event of a disability, the following benefits and services are included in LTD coverage through The Hartford:
• Recurrent Disability: This benefit gives you the ability to return to work without worrying about restrictions should your disability relapse. If you return to work and become disabled again due to the same sickness or injury within six months, you will not have to satisfy a new waiting period in order to receive LTD benefits.
• Waiver of Premium: If you become totally disabled and are receiving benefits under the policy, your premiums are waived. Keep in mind you must continue to pay premiums during the waiting period.
• Work Incentive Benefit: This benefit is intended to facilitate a comfortable and productive return to work. For up to 12 months after you return to work, your disability benefits plus your salary may equal 100% of your pre-disability earnings.
• Survivor Benefit: If you were to die after satisfying the benefit waiting period or after receiving a disability benefit, the same benefit is paid to your beneficiary for three months.
• Catastrophic Disability Benefit: If you become disabled to the extent that you cannot take care of yourself (feeding, bathing, toileting, transferring, incontinence and/or dressing), The Hartford will increase your monthly benefit by 10%. More importantly, this additional benefit will not be adjusted for other sources of income. In addition, The Hartford will provide training and respite services for the family member who is serving as your care provider.
• Social Security Assistance: When necessary, The Hartford will provide an advocate to help you apply for and secure Social Security disability benefits. The Hartford will then coordinate benefits with Social Security payments. Please contact Social Security directly to determine your benefit eligibility by calling 1-800-772-1213.