Louisiana State University System offers outstanding supplemental benefit plans such as dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, tax saver flexible spending accounts and dependent care spending accounts are available for qualified employees. Please visit each page below for more information and required forms for each plan.
Any active employee of LSU is eligible for Voluntary Benefits provided the following:
• Employed at 75% of full-time effort per pay period (avg. of 30 hours/week) or greater, and
• Appointed for a duration of at least one semester or 120 days or greater
Enrollment and Effective Date of Coverage
Timely Applicant*: If you enroll within your first 30 days of full-time employment, your coverage will be effective the first of the month following your first full calendar month of employment.
|*Long Term Disability Exception: If you enroll in Long Term Disability within your first 30 days of eligibility, your coverage will be effective the first of the month following the date the signed enrollment form is received by our Benefits staff.|
*Accidental Death & Dismemberment Exception: Your insurance will take effect on the first day of the month following the date you enroll, provided the required premium has been paid.
Late Applicant: If you do not enroll into a Voluntary Benefit Plan within your first 30 days of eligibility, refer to the Voluntary Benefits section you are interested in for the Late Applicant guidelines.
Long Term Disability, Long Term Care and LSU Term Life insurance will require medical underwriting and approval if you are enrolling as a late applicant.
When Does Coverage for Voluntary Benefits End?
Your coverage under a Voluntary Benefits will end on the earliest of the following dates:
• On the last day of the month in which your employment terminates (for academic employees who terminate employment at the end of the academic year, coverage extends through September 30 of the same year).
• When you are no longer eligible for coverage.
• When you cease making the required contribution.
• When the LSU System terminates the plan.
When Does Coverage for Voluntary Benefits End for my Dependent(s)?
Your dependent’s coverage under a Voluntary Benefit will end on the earliest of the following dates:
• When the individual no longer meets the plan’s definition of a dependent
• When the employee’s coverage terminates
• When the employee ceases to make the required contribution for dependent coverage
• When the LSU System terminates the plan