Bookmark and Share
Graduate Programs in Higher Education

Higher Education Faculty
Current Students | Prospective Students
M.A. | Ph.D. | Careers



The Higher Education Administration program prepares scholar-practitioners for leadership in colleges and universities as administrators, educators, and scholars. Through an examination of higher education theory and practice, the program seeks to help students understand the diverse nature of higher education institutions and their participants. With this understanding, graduates are expected to develop individualized styles of leadership that encompass educational excellence, respect for others, and contextualized practices.


What Can You Do With a Career in Student Affairs?


Careers in student affairs may consist of any advising, counseling, management, or administrative function at a college or university that exists outside the classroom. However, student affairs professionals generally work in areas characterized by the descriptions below.



Student affairs professionals perform a varied mixture of leading, educating, individual and group advising, counseling, supervising, teaching, training, planning, program development, inquiring, managing, financial management, and assessment and evaluation. Emerging functions include resource attraction and grant writing, entrepreneurship, outcomes assessment, political negotiation, and cultural assessment.



Department and program areas typically associated with student affairs include residence life, commuter services, graduate student services, admissions, new student orientation, financial aid, counseling centers, advising centers, leadership development, Greek affairs, student activities, student unions, community service, service learning, career planning and placement, discipline and judicial affairs, alumni relations and development, services for students with disabilities, developmental learning services, and advocacy and support programs (e.g., for students of color, lesbian, bisexual, gay, and transgender students, veterans, women, international students, adults).



Student affairs professionals work in every kind of institution including private liberal arts colleges, community colleges, public colleges and universities, research universities, women's colleges, historically Black colleges and universities, tribal colleges, urban institutions, and for-profit institutions.