REQUIREMENTS FOR LOUISIANA STATE CERTIFICATION IN GIFTED EDUCATION
(from Louisiana Department of Education website)
Fifteen (15) graduate hours of prescribed coursework from the following list either within a Master’s degree program or as an add-on to an existing Master’s degree:
- Characteristics/Study of Gifted Individuals (EDCI 7760 at LSU)
- Methods of Teaching the Gifted (EDCI 7761 at LSU)
- Creative Thinking and Problem Solving (EDCI 7762 at LSU) OR Curriculum Development for the Gifted (EDCI 7763 at LSU)
- Social and Emotional Needs of the Gifted (EDCI 7764 at LSU)
- Educational Technology (ELRC 4507 at LSU)
Three (3) hours in
- a practicum for academically gifted;
- or an internship for college credit in academically gifted;
- three (3) years of successful teaching in academically gifted.
Academically gifted certification will be valid only in the teaching area(s) in which one is certified. The secondary teacher of academically gifted students who is to award Carnegie Units in the secondary subject area(s) must be certified in the subject area(s) in which Carnegie Units are awarded. Elementary and secondary teachers who are also certified in academically gifted may offer approved special education elective (enrichment) courses at either the elementary or secondary level.